A Business of Our Own teaches students basic business concepts such as management, finance, production and marketing. Students will have fun running their own business while building their skills in language, communication, numeracy, math, critical thinking, problem-solving, creative thinking and decision-making.
Volunteers from the local business community partner with classroom teachers to help students set up a retail stand, track profits and distribute earnings. Students learn the responsibilities of running a business and how to work with others to achieve shared goals.
By the end of A Business of Our Own, students will understand the key success factors to running a business. This will inspire them to dream big, take on new challenges and consider careers as entrepreneurs.
In Nova Scotia, this program which are offered to elementary students
In this program, students:
- Learn about different types of organizations
- Develop an understanding of the role management and financial record keeping
- Create business goals
- Practice the skills needed to run a business
- Develop and implement a business plan for their own retail business
- Learn about pricing and promotions
- Describe their experience in operating a business
- Draw conclusions about planning